Many people stop exercising and turn to comfort food high in sugar, fat or carbohydrates as winter approaches. To stay healthy, follow these 10 expert tips from Catholic Healthcare.
1. Eat plenty of vegetables and lean meat: Use them to make warm winter salads or soups and stews.
2. Pick foods that boost your immune system: These include brightly coloured vegetables such as pumpkin, red and yellow capsicum, carrot and sweet potato.
3. To be Healthy Stay hydrated: Try herbal teas if you find it difficult to drink enough water.
4. Keep exercising: A lunchtime walk can help you meet your exercise goals whilst providing vitamin D from the sun.
5. Get vaccinated against the flu and ask your doctor about a pneumonia vaccination: Sooner is better so that your body has time to build immunity.
6. Protect yourself from illness: Wash your hands regularly with soap and water.
7. Get enough sleep: This can boost your immune system and is good for mental health.
8. Ask a health professional about food supplements and vitamins: Your body may need a little extra help.
9. Keep in touch with friends, family and the community. Socialising is good for mental health: If it’s difficult to travel to see loved ones, keep in touch by phone.
10. Visit your GP for a checkup: Also, ask your GP or pharmacist to review your medications.
Catholic Healthcare will soon be opening MacKillop House, 2 Firewheel Place, cnr MacKillop Drive, Norwest. The new Residential Aged Care Home also incorporates a Wellness Centre offering health and wellness programs, morning teas and other social activities for seniors who are still living in their own home.
Should you or your loved one need more specialised care, we invite you to be one of the first to tour MacKillop House before it opens.
For more information on becoming a resident at MacKillop House call Jenny Thomas on 1300 169 949.