Thanks to everyone who came down to the Twilight Markets at Galston Early Learning Centre recently. All the kids (and kids at heart) enjoyed a climb in the fire truck and some training on the hose. Great to see so many little future Galston firies!
A TRAGIC START TO THE SUMMER FIRE SEASON
NSW has seen a terrible start to the summer fire season with homes destroyed and two people tragically losing their lives near Casino in northern NSW. With more hot and windy weather expected, the RFS is on high alert. One of Galston’s fire trucks has been in heavy use in the region since the start of the fires. It has worked alongside other RFS fire trucks from all over the state as they formed part of strike teams attacking the fires wreaking havoc in the region. Thank you to the endless rotation of Galston firies who have volunteered weeks of their time to head up north and battle these blazes.
DON’T BE COMPLACENT – PREPARE YOUR HOME NOW
Burning embers can travel many kilometres ahead of a fire, so while you may think a bushfire isn’t close to you, embers can still cause spot fires around your property – particularly if you haven’t prepared your home to survive a bushfire.
A well prepared home can also be easier for you or firefighters to defend, and is less likely to put your neighbours’ homes at risk. It will also give you more protection if there is a sudden fire threat and you cannot leave.
HERE ARE SOME BASIC TIPS TO PREPARE YOUR PROPERTY:
- Clean your gutters of leaves and twigs
- Install metal gutter guards
- Repair damaged or missing tiles on the roof
- Install fine metal mesh screens on windows and doors
- Fit seals around doors and windows to eliminate gaps
- Enclose the areas under the house
- Repair or cover gaps in external walls
- Attach a fire sprinkler system to gutters
- Keep lawns short and gardens well maintained
- Cut back trees and shrubs overhanging buildings
- Clean up fallen leaves, twigs and debris around the property
- Have hoses long enough to reach around your house
- If you have a pool, tank or dam, put a Static Water Supply (SWS) sign on your property entrance, so firefighters know where they can get water
- Check and maintain adequate levels of home and contents
- Ensure it is up to date.
For more information about preparing your property for a bush fire please visit the RFS website: www.rfs.nsw.gov.au or call the Bush Fire Information Line – 1800 NSW RFS (1800 679 737)