Gorge Diesel Spill
The Galston Gorge was closed in both directions for part of the day in mid-June. Galston RFB and local brigades assisted emergency services and the RMS in a large clean-up operation after a truck crashed into the bridge at the bottom of the gorge, damaging the bridge and the truck’s fuel tank. The ruptured fuel tank caused diesel to spill along the entire western side of the gorge roadway. The incident required a large amount of absorbent material to be utilised in order to soak up the diesel and re-open the road for motorists.
Winter Home Fire Safety
There are hundreds of preventable fires in Sydney each year that originate in the home. Last winter firefighters attended more than 1,100 house fires across the state and the NSW SES received 3,846 calls for assistance.
In 2018 to date there has been approximately 1,400 house fires and five fatalities.
Don’t be complacent with the approach it ‘won’t happen to you’. Be proactive with home fire safety and start by identifying and changing risky behaviour and habits.
Some helpful tips to be fire safe during the colder months include:
• Test smoke alarms regularly and change the battery at least once every 12 months.
• Never leave cooking in the kitchen unattended. 45% of house fires in NSW originate in the kitchen.
• Keep everything one metre away from your heater.
• Never place clothing over heaters.
• Never use wheat bags in bed.
• Don’t overload power points and switch off household appliances when not in use.
• Store your electric blanket safely – roll don’t fold.
• Clean your lint filter before or after each use.
• Have a home escape plan. Identify at least two ways out of each room. Practise the plan with your family so everyone knows how to get out.
Brigade Contact Details:
Duty mobile: 0491 119 152
Email: [email protected]