Anzac Day can be a deeply emotional time for Australia’s veterans and their families and some may find this time of year difficult.
As you cover stories and run programs about Australia’s military history, and its impact on Australians who have served in the Australian Defence Force (ADF), the Department of Veterans’ Affairs requests you include, where appropriate, contact details for specialised counselling services and online resources for veterans.
• Call 1800 011 046 (24/7) for free and confidential counselling for veterans and their families delivered by the Veterans and Veterans Families Counselling Service (VVCS) – www.vvcs.gov.au
• Veterans, their families and health care professionals can also visit at-ease.dva.gov.au for information about support available and online self-help tools including:
• High Res – an eToolbox with resources to help serving and exserving ADF personnel and their families to manage stress and build resilience.
• PTSD Coach – strategies to assist self-management of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) symptoms and treatment schedules.
• On Track with the Right Mix – strategies for finding the right balance of diet, alcohol and exercise.
• Operation Life – information and resources on how to assist those at risk of suicide.